Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Light and funny...

Crosspoint family,

While I enjoy light and funny stuff, I don’t want to LIVE in light and funny.  I don’t want to, at the cost of dealing with serious matters, medicate with funny and stupid stuff because it leaves me numb or insensitive to the truly important.  In God’s grace it seems like God gives me occasion to do or attend a funeral just often enough to remember as it says in Deuteronomy “in due time their foot will slip” and that no matter the mark we leave or how well we avoid thinking about or dealing with death.......the bell will toll for thee.

I read this article today  (
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1566473601001/swan-drowns-kayaker-in-chicago-park?intcmp=features ) and thought about a guy in the prime of life in the middle of an activity that screams “life” taken in a blink and standing before his Creator, ready or not.  This guy was drowned by a swan while kayaking?!?!  By a swan?!?!  Yes, a big white bird!?!?!  It immediately made me think a quote from Jonathan Edwards’ sermon Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God, “the manifold and continual experience of the world in all ages, shows this is no evidence, that a man is not on the very brink of eternity, and that the next step will not be into another world.  The unseen, unthought-of ways and means of persons going suddenly out of the world are innumerable and inconceivable.

Given this reminder of how we’re all perched on an invisible brink..............I’m especially burdened after Sunday’s message for ANYONE who’s oblivious to Pharaohs' advancing army and the eternal destruction awaiting them.  I’m especially burdened for ANYONE who thinks they can build a bridge of good works over the Red Sea before the army arrives.  I’m especially burdened for ANYONE within earshot of the ministry of Crosspoint who’s missed or who’s assuming the surprise work of Yeshua in delivering an unlikely undeserving people for His own glory......from death to life........from darkness to light......from doom to hope, meaning and purpose.

If any of you are wrestling with questions of faith or want to know how to follow Christ or need help sorting through your faith, please talk with another believer in your life about it.  Or talk with a small group shepherd or deacon.  Or send me an email and I’ll connect you to answers.

This matters........don’t tarry.


Ben McGraw