Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Singing true things to God

Crosspoint family,

I don't know if you were paying attention Sunday, but consider for a moment what we sang together to God:

I Need Thee Every Hour

I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
I need Thee, O I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power when Thou art nigh.
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is in vain.
I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
O make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.

Or this....Come Thou Fount:

Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of God's unchanging love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home. (sounds like Paul's subjunctive "may's" of Philippians 3)
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

SUCH WONDERFUL honesty in this last verse.  Oh, it's good to sing such true things to God.

What I enjoy about these songs, along with others we sang together, is there's such need expressed.....such dependence.  It seems fitting with the sermon, since we're left with nothing to trust in but our Lord.  All we so readily put faith in is stripped away when you consider what we're capable of.  No doubt it's a difficult and troubling topic.  But we sang about it.....true stuff.....heartily.


Ben