Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It would be this sermon

CF family,

Consider these passages:

Gen. 5:28 When Lamech had lived 182 years, he fathered a son 29 and called his name Noah, saying, “Out of the ground that the LORD has cursed this one shall bring us relief from our work and from the painful toil of our hands.”

Matt. 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Sunday we considered together One who truly brought us “relief from our work” and from the “painful toil of our hands” in the New and Better Noah, Jesus Christ.   There are no more arks to build…….no more altars…… no more tabernacles…….no more temples…….. no more sacrifices to prepare……no more blood to shed……..no more priests offering day after day after day after day payment for the worshipper’s sin and their own sins………no more efforts to cover or pay for our own sin.  For that work is indeed….FINISHED……completed and accomplished through His cross.  Can you feel that “relief”?  Do your souls “find rest” there?

I can’t remember if there has been a more important sermon in ten years than this last Sunday’s message.  I urge you and even beg you to listen to it if you didn’t.  And know that though it may sound self-serving to say “listen to my sermon” there’s nothing in this request serving me.  In fact, I don’t feel like the delivery was all that great (complete with embarrassing ugly cry)……..it was the CONTENT though that was/is the greatest news we can ever hear or tell.  If I could point to one sermon that best represents the gospel I want to walk in and serve in and rest in, it would be this one.

Please listen.

Ben