Thursday, June 6, 2013

God doesn't need us...

......to catch fish.  If you remember from Sunday I shared with you the story of Luke's first fishing trip.  At the end of his B-Paw's dock in Louisiana, he sat in my lap with baited hook and tiny hands with white-knuckles gripping a bamboo pole.  There we waited together until the bobber bobbed (which he couldn't see by the way) and I pulled a nice little bream from the water as he shouted "I CAUGHT A FIS?!?!"

Now, imagine yourself sitting outside Jericho looking at a big wall.  You can be one of three people.  You can be the guy who looks at it and says plainly "I can't conquer those guys. That's a big wall.  I'm out!"  Or you can be a second guy who says "God can conquer those guys and I'll sit here idle till He gets it done."  Or you can be a third guy.....ideally the third guy.....who knows full well he CAN'T conquer ANYTHING without God......and he knows full well God CAN conquer ANYTHING without him.  But he does what God says and wraps white knuckles around a pole he can't carry and looks toward a bobber he can't see.........WHILE He trusts His Father to ultimately get the job done.

I've thought this week about why God would involve us in the process......when He could easily catch a fish (conquer Jericho) without us.  I realized if God gives us ANY glimpse of the love He has for us in the love a father has for his son, then the whole fishing trip/conquest is about relationship with our God.  He involves us in the work so we'll be with Him in His big lap trusting and hopeful while we take on stuff that's bigger than us....and all for His glory. 

We have a REALLY good God, Crosspoint Family.  I hope you're enjoying Him today.

Ben