Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Purah

CF family,

Judges 7:10 But if you are afraid to go down, go down to the camp with Purah your servant.  11 And you shall hear what they say, and afterward your hands shall be strengthened to go down against the camp.” Then he went down with Purah his servant to the outposts of the armed men who were in the camp.

Do you remember this guy?  Purah?  I can't get him out of my head since Sunday.  Remember the context........Gideon, though a "mighty man of valor" (eye roll), was fearful about nearly every step of God's plan to defeat the Midianites.  So, here they are with the Israelite army whittled down to 300 slobs.  The Midianite army, like locusts in abundance, were encamped by the hill of Moreh.  Then God sends Gideon under the cover of darkness to within earshot of the Midianite camp.  Showing us the kind of God He is, he tells Gideon to take Purah with him in case he was a scaredy cat. 

We'd be negligent if we read these stories without looking for the kind of God we have.....to give Gideon a Purah.  Seems like a small thing maybe, but the whole battle hinged on Gideon's trust in God......and God helped him trust Him.  So it made me think of my "Purah's".  It made me think of those God has given me to encourage me......to give me company when I'm doing scary stuff.  It made me think too, I want to be a "Purah" to someone else.....to give them company when they're going through a dark night. 

I'm thankful for my "Purah's" and I'm thankful for a good and gracious God who gives them to us. 

Ben